I wanted a place to compile all of my slide decks as I teach EME6356: Learning & Web Analytics at Florida State University. Enjoy!
This course addresses the collection and use of data for decision making and assessment in learning and human performance contexts. Students will get hands-on experience with small data sets and will learn how big data sets are collected and used. The course will explore the role that analytics plays in education and related fields, identify the types of questions that might be answered via both quantitative and qualitative analytics, and engage in analytic- related problem solving. This course will examine case studies and provide students with practice using a variety of tools and services that can help them collect and analyze learning and web data. There are no pre-requisites, and although data will be used prior experience with statistics or research design is not necessary.
At the completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Discuss major concepts related to analytics.
- Discuss the application of analytics to the fields of instructional systems design and performance technology.
- Apply the major concepts related to analytics to solving real world problems.
- Identify real world problems that might be addressed via analytics.
- Align problems with appropriate data sources, data collection methods, and analytic methods.
- Select the most appropriate analytic tool for a given context.
- Collect analytic data in a systematic manner.
- Analyze and interpret systematically collected analytic data.
- Develop context-appropriate reports that indicate how analytics address a particular problem.
Module 1: Introduction to Analytics
Tuesday, August 24, 2021
View the slides at https://bretsw.github.io/eme6356-module1/, or scroll through below:
Module 2: Solving Problems with Analytics
Tuesday, August 31, 2021
View the slides at https://bretsw.github.io/eme6356-module2/, or scroll through below:
Module 3: Analytics Tools for Data Collection and Analysis
Tuesday, September 14, 2021
View the slides at https://bretsw.github.io/eme6356-module3/, or scroll through below:
Module 4: Social Media Analytics
Tuesday, September 28, 2021
View the slides at https://bretsw.github.io/eme6356-module4/, or scroll through below:
Module 5: Data Visualization
Tuesday, October 5, 2021
View the slides at https://bretsw.github.io/eme6356-module5/, or scroll through below:
Module 6: Educational Data Mining and Learning Analytics
Tuesday, October 19, 2021
View the slides at https://bretsw.github.io/eme6356-module6/, or scroll through below:
Module 7: Challenges in Learning Analytics
Tuesday, October 26, 2021
Module 8: Case Discussions
Tuesday, November 9, 2021
Module 9: Future of Analytics in Society & Research
Tuesday, November 30, 2021